All About Jones Boatyard. Est 1946

Established in 1946 as L.H. Jones & Son Ltd, Jones Boatyard is is a third generation family business and believed to be England’s oldest inland marina.

Perfectly situated beside St.Ives lock the picturesque marina offers peaceful moorings in natural surroundings. Showers, fuel, electricity and water on site. Overnight moorings welcome.

Our extensive chandlery is the largest in the area offering great choice and competitive prices.

Friendly service and experienced advice is always available, seven days a week.

Our brokerage department offers a wide selection of used craft and full boatyard facilities to handle the sale. Excellent impartial advice is always available.

marinaweb

Moorings

We have approximately 160 fixed and floating moorings, mostly serviced with electricity. On site facilities include a new shower block, elsan disposal, fuel pumps (diesel and petrol), shared water points, parking, cycle storage, 2 slipways and hard standing area.

The workshops undertake engineering, boatbuilding, glass fibre repairs, gas and electrical work. In addition to the workshops, the marina offers a well-stocked Chandlery and very active Boat Sales Department.

Meet the team

Our dedicated and friendly staff are here to help!

  • Chris Lovelock
    Chris carries out all the fibreglass, gelcoat repairs, and compounding.
  • Sam Jones
    Sam manages the marketing, accounts and company admin.
  • Karen Willis
    Karen manages the accounts and invoicing at the boatyard.
  • Tim Hague
    When he not flying a helicopter Tim helps out maintaining the marina.
  • John Thurston
    John assists with engineering work and electrical installations.
  • Eileen Merryweather
    Eileen does canopy repairs.
  • Nora Jones
    Nora Jones founded the company in 1946 along with her husband Laurie.
  • Bill Purvis
    Bill is our resident in-house rope splicer and on site security.
  • Adrian Pankowski
    Adrian helps with the maintenance on the yard as well as boat repairs.
  • Harry Colton
    Harry works in the Chandlery shop and looks after the stores.
  • Martin Lloyd
    Martin has been the Engineer at Jones Boatyard for more that 25 years.
  • Carol Jones
    Carol oversees the work experience & health and safety on the marina.
  • Jim Price
    Jim was an Engineer with us for many years & helps out with breakdowns.
  • Graham Richards
    Graham manages buying in the chandlery and offers technical advice.
  • Alf Nash
    Alf looks after the grounds and also doubles as live-in security at the marina.
  • Sergio Lacuna Gran
    Sergio helps maintain the marina as well as carpentry work on the boats.
  • Geoffrey Ingle
    Geofrey has been a boatbuilder & with us for more than 50 years.
  • Keith Durrant
    Keith helps manage the stock and displays in the Chandlery.
  • Ben Jones
    Ben manages the workshops & moorings at the boatyard.
  • Mick Jones
    Mick Jones is managing director & built many boats with his father Laurie.
  • Alaster Gray
    Alaster has been with the us for over 40 years & manages boat sales.
  • David Hurst
    David works with Alaster in boat sales and also in the chandlery shop.

 

History of L.H. Jones & Son

L.H. Jones & Son (boatbuilders) Ltd was established in 1946 when Laurie Jones with his wife, Nora, left the RAF and started a small boatyard on the Hartford Meadows consisting of one large hut, part of which he converted into living quarters where he built punts and sailing dinghies. Mr Banham of Cambridge told Laurie “you will never make any money building dinghies; build motor cruisers”

So LH Jones started converting ships lifeboats and went on to build small yachts and motor cruisers. In 1958 they moved to the current 13 acre site by St.Ives Staunch. It is thought to be the oldest inland marina in Britain. Many crafts like Goosander, pictured below, were built at the marina and can still be seen on the river today. Jones Boatyard continues today, now a third generation family business.

Marina Extension Plans

marinaplanssmall

We are very pleased to have been granted planning permission for a 104 berth marina extension. The site is adjacent to the existing marina on the down stream side of the lock where we plan to introduce modern mooring facilities with floating pontoons connected to water and electricity. The site will also have a cafe, shower block, hardstanding, slipway, parking, canoe launch, and picnic area.
As well as an opportunity to better our existing facilities we also see it as an opportunity for everyone to access the river, either through the Café with easy access to river walks, or through kayaking. We hope to start construting the new basin in 2012. Click here for more information.