Do I need a licence to drive a boat?

No, as long as the boat is registered, insured and has a Boat Safety Certificate it can be used on the river. The boat’s insurance cover insurance cover usually allows for third parties to use the boat as long as they have similar experience, are of suitable age and are of “sane and reasonable disposition”! It would be worth checking with your insurers to establish what cover you have exactly. The RYA run an inland waterways helmsmans course which is well worth doing. Unfortunately there are no local companies providing this service.