How does boat insurance work?

The Environment Agency require a minimum third party insurance cover to register craft for inland use. The best way to insure your craft is with a marine specialist company. It is usual that craft above around 20 years old will require a survey, this is not set in stone however, as some insurers will accept full liability for craft over 20 years old if they are under 22ft in length. If you are buying a boat that has been surveyed less than 3 years ago most insurers will accept this document – if in doubt ask.